Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sydney to Melbourne 1930


In 1930, two Frenchmen came to Australia to ride a five stage race from Sydney to Melbourne - It was up until then Australia's longest stage race. The Frenchmen, Josef Mauclair and Jean Bidot finished 1st and 3rd with Hubert Opperman separating them in 2nd place.
I've been researching the event and expect to do a few posts in the coming weeks of this epic road race, the riders and the course. Hope you can join me.


Josef Mauclair
This is the magazine that brought the epic 1930 Sydney to Melbourne stage race to my attention.
Both the Frenchmen, Mauclair and Bidot had ridden the Tour de France and other French Classics of the era.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I found this blog researching "The Great Sydney to Melbourne Road Race" as I found a board game that my father had kept from this race in 1930.
I also noticed that the board game had been signed by both the French cyclists, Josef Mauclair and Jean Bidot.
Can anyone tell me who would be interested in all this??

Thanks Glenis